February 02, 2016

January Wrap-Up

Hello, Pals! 
I wonder where January has gone? Seems like yesterday that I wished you all a prosperous new year. I haven't removed the Christmas decorations from my room yet. Not laziness, but I simply decided to keep them till the end of January. The time has come to put them in the boxes now...  
January just flew by! Of course, it brought us some sweet memories to cherish; we celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary :D Such a fabulous day we had! I thank the Lord for giving me the best husband in the world and the Blueberry cheesecake that just melted in my mouth *slurp slurp* and for all those books my hubby let me buy this month ;) He was being extra nice to me this whole month. Lucky moi!!! 

Talking about books, I read 10 books in January.

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend was originally published in Swedish, written by Katarina Bivald. It tells the story of a bibliophile called Sara, who opens up a bookstore for her late pen pal, Amy and changes the life of the Broken Wheel with the help of Books. Whoa! I wish it was really possible in the reality as well... I would have run the bookstores then. This was the first book I read in 2016. It started in an interesting way; curious to know what would Sara do next, I kept reading on and on. But halfway through the story, I started falling asleep. It was full of cliches, which made the story so predictable. The end was a bit dramatic, even so it failed to impress me. I liked Sara, but not her story. It was full of CLICHES! too much DRAMA...Oopsie! NOT RECOMMENDED!

A Woman in a Million

It is the prequel of The One in a Million Boy. Oh boy, I liked it. If you are looking for a diverse read, I suggest to check it out! This might be the one... Ona celebrated her 100th birthday. She has failed to renew the driving license and Candice is throwing a late birthday party for Ona. I have to wait to know more about her story now; till April 2016. A beautifully written short story that can certainly pull you in and leave you wanting more of it. RECOMMENDED!

A Little Sugar, A Lot of Love

A lovely book for the chick-lit fans. Read my review here. RECOMMENDED!

How to Get Hitched in Ten Days

Review to come on 11th February 2016. A short love story by Samatha Tonge, the author of Game of Scones. Pick it up, if you are looking for sweet and short valentine stories. RECOMMENDED!

The Tea Party in the Woods

A picture book story for children. A fairy tale retelling combining the stories of Little Red Riding Hood and Alice's in Wonderland (The Madhatter's Tea Party). The charcoal images were fabulous. Nevertheless, the story sounded a tad dull to me compared to the original stories. NOT RECOMMENDED!

The Dreadful Fate of Jonathan York

Oh. my. God! This is a fantastic story. The artworks and doodles add more eeriness to the story. You will come across many dreadful and creepy creatures and their crazy adventures. I can't recollect any creature's name, though. The author's spectacular imagination will take you through an amazing journey. LOVED IT. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! 

The Hound of the Baskervilles

*2016 Classics Reading Challenge*
YAY! The challenge was to start the year with a BANG! So I chose The Hound of the Baskervilles. My brother and I enjoy the Sherlock Holmes TV show, so I thought of picking up the most famous book by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This has been in my TBR for a long long time. Really glad about reading it at last. I liked it. Dr. Watson's vivid descriptions let you picturise the Baskerville and the surroundings in front of your eyes and Sherlock Holmes makes the distinctive observations which left my mouth wide open. Even so, the mystery/supernatural elements failed to give any creepy feelings or made the whole setting sound engrossing. In short, it wasn't that good as I expected it to be. I will prefer Agatha Christie or some other thriller writers, if I could choose. Also, I don't feel that The Hound of The Baskervilles is the best Sherlock Holme's story. Halfway through the story, Sherlock Holmes reveals who the villain is. It utterly destroyed my mood to read the next chapters. So, I will give it three stars. RECOMMENDED if you like mysteries!

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban (Re-Read)

RECOMMENDED!!!!!! This is my favorite book in the series so far. Where to start from? I luvved everything about this book; right from when Harry blows up aunt Marge to Saving Sirius Black with the help of Buckbeak. I watched the movie as well after reading the book. I tell you what, there are so many exciting things missing in the movie. Better to read the book. I was overjoyed when Hagrid was appointed as the professor at Hogwarts. He totally deserved it! Thanks, Albus Dumbledore. The Quidditch game was the best of all I have read/imagined before; though the Dementors destroyed the zest by showing up on the ground. But nothing didn't matter when Harry was gifted a Firebolt. OMG! you have no idea how much I wish for the whole thing to be real... And.. and a visit to Hogsmeade too. I want some butterbeer and Honeydukes, please. Can anybody help me? Gosh! this is the best book of the series, I wager ya all. Then the Marauder's map too. Isn't that awesome to own it? We can sneak around anywhere in Hogwarts without being noticed; through secret chambers and hidden tunnels... Aww, I'm doing fangirling today. J K Rowling, You are the BEST of this century! Sirius Black... How to not talk about him? Now Harry has somebody to look after him and care for him and someone who can send him expensive gifts. Whoa! A lot of happy incidents took place in this story, can't just let it go from my mind. The world ceases to exist whenever I open a Harry Potter book. Magical it is, indeed! I liked Professor Lupin too. Finally, the Hogwarts got a brilliant Dark Arts teacher, who was good at teaching and interacting with students. What's wrong with being an Anigmus? Dumbledore had to stop him from abandoning his students. Don't you think so? I was very sad when he left the Hogwarts. Okay, I really got to stop my rants. Just letting you know that this is the book I have enjoyed immensly so far and... OKAY, I WILL STOP NOW ;)

Star light, star bright,
First star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have this wish I wish tonight.
Cinder

Expect a combined review once I finish the Lunar Chronicles series. Don't wait to read the review  by any blogger... BUY IT TODAY ITSELF. RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!

Six Lies

Read my review here. RECOMMENDED if you are looking for a realistic story.

Currently Reading: The BFG by Roald Dahl

Reading Challenge Updates: 
  1. The 12 Month Classics Challenge (1/12)
  2. Retelling Challenge (1/9)
  3. 2016 New Release Challenge (5/15)
  4. 2016 Netgalley Reading Challenge (4/30)
  5. Popsugar Reading Challenge (5/40)
  6. Contemporary Challenge (1/15)
  7. Flights of Fantasy (2/15)
  8. TBR challenge (3/20)
  9. Goodreads challenge (9/100)
How was your January? Do tell me.
 photo sig_zpsuzho4knp.png