September 25, 2015

Review: I Wish For You by Camilla Isley

Author: Camilla Isley
Genre: Romantic Comedy, Chick-lit
Pages Length: 309 Pages
Publication Date: July 23rd 2015
Publishers: Pink Bloom Press
Goodreads | Amazon

If all your wishes could suddenly come true, what would you do?

A year ago when the love of her life dumped her for no apparent reason, Ally thought she had hit rock bottom. But now that she has seen him with another woman, and one she knows only too well, her life seems to have reached a whole new level of low.

Yet, when she stumbles across an ancient object infused with magical powers and a stranger with a dark past appears out of nowhere promising to grant all her wishes, she finds herself hoping again.

Suddenly Ally’s life is turned upside down; she has a mystery to solve, a rival to beat, a millenarian curse to break, and well, she wants to have some fun playing with her new “gifts”…

But can she wish her way to happily ever after?


This is just what I wanted- Camilla Isley's 'I Wish For You' was a breath of fresh air to me. I've been dealing with many downhearted, dispirited heroines lately. I was longing to meet someone, who would dare to fight for the things they believed in and Camilla introduced me to Ally Johnson, who had a fascinating story to share with me. She fought for the love of her life. But Ally wasn't alone, she received help from another world- the world, where Magic existed once. Only one word for the book: Enchante!

Ally is clueless on why James broke up with her. She is still grieving their separation. The matter gets worse when she sees him with Vanessa - whom she can't stand in the office. But, everything changes when the destiny gifts her a magical coffer. A man appears out of the blue and promises to grant her five wishes. And now, she is determined to win James back with the help of MAGIC. Will she succeed?  Will Ally find her happily ever after?...

Disney made me believe in magic and fairy tales. Thus, I was immediately hooked by the theme and smitten by the cover, when Camilla Isley asked me to review I Wish For You. The book has surpassed my expectations. I Wish For You is a modern fairy tale. I was a bit sceptical about how the story would turn out, thought Ally was wasting her wishes. But, it gradually held me spellbound till the last page. I was turning the pages hastily, too eager to know what would happen to the mysterious stranger and Ally. 

Don't hate me, but I need to mention Arthur, the Genie in the enchanted lamp. I liked him more than James. When the king Henry II was mentioned, I ended up browsing for more details on Arthur. And I was in for a surprise!!! I loved the twist she gave to the mysterious tale of Arthur I, Duke of Brittany. Wow! The author has done a marvelous job *Applause*. I strongly feel that 'I Wish For You' needs more attention. I can hardly consider it as a debut novel. Well done Camilla Isley! 

Ally's fairy tale reminded me the movie 'Kate & Leopold' and I enjoyed picturing Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman as Ally and Arthur. It was fun. The story will give you many cackle-worthy moments. I loved Arthur. He is Royal, swoon-worthy, a perfect old-fashioned Gentleman, amiable and humorous. I might haven't enjoyed the book if Arthur was not there. I liked Ally too. Can't blame her for the mischievous manner. Even I would have done the same if I knew Magic *Evil Grin*. She turns out to be a sweet young woman. Kind too.

I did not like James and Vanessa at the beginning. But when the stories unfolded, I happened to like them too. The supporting characters are also likable. Liked the romance and loved the unexpected ending, a happily-ever-after! Overall, I Wish For You is an entertaining, light, and quick fairy tale. Highly Recommended! I take the cue by the Author and guessing there will be sequels to this book; Arthur's previous adventures. I'm waiting...

My Rating: 4.5/5 ( I Loved It! )
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment